Feeds RSS

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Germany...Oh what a LoVelY adventure she was!!

I just made a new best friend... Although I do not know his name, so I will just name him hotel lobby guy! Why is he my best friend you might be wondering...because he is letting me sit in the lobby of the hotel called Novotel!!!! It is 2:00 am and our train from London just terminated at Bristol and our train to swansea isn't until 5:19 and guess what the train station closed so where are 2 girls supposed to do? Ha wonder around the city at 2 am, I DON'T THINK SO!!!  We tried the holiday inn express but they said the Lobby is for residents only, so we walked some more and came across this other hotel and the guy was nice enough to let us sit in the lobby! If I ever need a hotel in this city I know I'm going to Novotel and NOT the holiday inn express!!
I've decided It's a good thing I'm only 20... Not saying that older people could not have done what Cristen and I just did but I don't think I would have been able to survive if I was old! We left swansea at 8 pm, Thursday night and took the train to London, and then took the underground to a different London train station where we were going to catch the train to the airport! We arrived at about 12:10 am but our connection was not until 4:10 am.. we figured we could just sit in the train station or at the McDonald's there... HA NOT!!! The McDonald's shuts down its tables at 10...so you can only order to go, and the train station closed at around 1... Haha so now what??? Luckily there was a 24 hour cafe just down the street a little ways that we went to, ordered an omelette and sat there until 4! It was quite entertaining with the many drunk people coming In and out who liked to talk Haha... 4:10 came around and we hopped on the train to the airport, our plane departed at 7:30 so we waited in the gate, and then boarded the plane... Neither Cristen nor I remember taking off or landing ha! We were that tired! Best flight I have ever had, we got an hour of sleep, and arrived in Germany at 8:30 am, 12 hours from.when we departed!!!!!! Oh my goodness ha! We were greeted at the airport by Cristen's cousin Ian and her husband Bert!! Bert was stationed I'm Germany in a small town not too far from Frankfurt so we got to stay with them! Their house is just so so cute :) I loved it, and it was so great being able to stay In a HOME ... with a COUCH :) HA as crazy as this might seem I.really miss couches!!! And their's was super comfy :)
...anyways we dropped our stuff off and toured the house then we went and they showed us the town by them. They described it as "the most American like town in Germany" but it had some little shops and we ate a resteraunt and had our first GERMAN food!!! :)

I wish Burger Kind looked like that in America :)
What a cool Mirror!!

Where we had LUNCH!!

I think one of my favorite things is getting to try each countries food! Pretty much everything I have tried has been delicious... But that also could be because I don't try things that I have been warned not too, except for the Welsh Lava Bread... eww that is not bread at all! It's seeweed goop that Caleb made me try!
....back to Germany! After lunch we stopped at this MEGA store... It was a furniture store that was SOO HUGE and had the COOLEST stuff! I Love just walking around stores like this and imagining my house someday :) this place was like IKEA On steroids as Cristen would put it! We had fun! and I got a couple awesome ideas on stuff I can make :) We went back to the house and cristen and I took a little nap because we were so tired and then we went to dinner at this little dinner and got to try some another German delicacy! OH MY GOODNESS this was so so so good!!! On the way back after dinner we went to Globus, which is a German Walmart only they wayyyy out due Walmart!! The candy brand Haribo is German, which I did not know. They make lots of Yummy candy, and Globus had an isle of every kind possible and it was so so cheap, so of course Cristen and I had to get a bunch :)

This is the MEGA STORE!

This is one idea I think would be fun to make!!

I like the ORANGE ONE!! and the little BRITISH one :)
Inside the store!

The next day we got up and went to a CHRISTMAS MARKET!!!!!! YAY! it was ln this little down called WEIHNACHTLICHER..not that is a mouthful, and I have NO IDEA how to pronounce it:) ! It was so cute! The buildings were so "German" and all decorated with Christmas lights and stuff! Ah I just love this time of year and am so excited for Christmas!! ... So we walked around and instead of lunch we just did testing of all these different German things, vuhl wine, which was like a hot spiced wine, I loved the smell but wasn't a huge fan of the taste so Ian drank mine, and then candied nuts, and RAHMFLECK which was this Yummy pretzel like bread with almost like pizza topping on top just no sauce, kind of hard to explain...but it was SO GOOD!! then we tried potato pancakes with Apple sauce! Mmmhm!! And of course a CREPE!!!


Me, Cristen, Ian :)

Bert shoving part of a POTATO PANCAKE in my mouth!!

Vuhl Wine

I finally got to ride on an elephant...hehe


Its leaning???

CHRISTMAS!!!

After the market, we made our way to a town called Trier, which is the OLDEST city in Germany :) they had some old Roman remains, and a huge beautiful church and the prettiest palace I have ever seen! It was dark but Ian said the palace has these gardens that just go on forever :) how awesome would it be to be royal?? I actually don't know I would like it but I think it would be cool to TEST it out, you know... Be royal for a week or something :)

The Roman's built this...it was the entrance to the city!



The Palace!!! :)

This elephant was a little more my size :)

Ian and I got hats!! We Were COLD!!

We then went back to the house and Ian made dinner! A true German dish!!! BEST meal we had!!! We just enjoyed the company of each other and sat around and relaxed all night!!

Preparing DInner!!

YUMMY!!!

Cristen impressing Bert with her Pickle Juice Drinking SKILLS!!! :)


The next day was Sunday, our last day! We went on a nature walk and saw some really pretty German HORSES :) and Ian and Bert showed us this old Celtic burial hill...which they called "the Hobbit House" haha it really did look like a Hobbit house! It was awesome!






OH YEA :)


I think I could live there.... hahah
We packed up and headed to the airport. Our flight was at 7:50. We landed in London, and took the bus to Liverpool street, then the Underground to Paddington then train to Bristol...which brings me to where I am right now...sitting on a couch in the lobby of Hotel Novotel at 2:45 am Monday morning! This will explain to you why I keep going off on different subjects in the middle of my story ha I AM TIRED!!! and My brain always just goes off on random stuff when I am near the dilarious stage:)

...Forward time!!!
We made it to Swansea at 7:50 a.m. and arrived back at home around 8! Cristen and I both went straight to bed ha we were EXHAUSTED!! I slept until 2 p.m. and then decided I needed to get up and take care of some things!!

Although I didn't go to any BIG cities or tourist attraction things, Germany was one of my favorites trips! I loved going to the little towns and the Christmas market! I really enjoyed getting to spend time with Cristen and meet her Cousin Ian and her husband Bert. They are an aweosme couple...just so cute! I greatly appreciate their hospitality and giving us an AWESOME German Experience! I thank the Lord for giving us safe travels and allowing everything to go as planned.... except for the train stations closing.. we were not exactly prepared for that curve ball, but it all worked out :)

House Keeping:
I can not believe that I only have 24 days until I come home!!!! WOWEEE! I must say though that I am ready now to come home...maybe its just the holidays making me miss my family more but the few days I have really been longing for home! Don't get me wrong though, I have really grown to LOVe it here, and I know that I am going to miss it SOO much!
GOOD NEWS!! I am officially enrolled for next semester at Langston.. so glad I got all that taken care of! I will be taking Botany, Zoology, and Physics 1...oh just Lovely! BRING IT ON!!!
I am so excited for PARIS next week! Its going to be so great!!
Cristen and I went to Tesco to get EVERYTHING for THANKSGIVING... we decided that eating out for thanksgiving just didn't seem right...so a few of us are all going intogether and we are going to Cook!! :) So excited!
I had another basketball game and we won again :) haha IT was a really fun game this week! I am getting to know the girls on my team more and more and just love them!!! :)

That brings us to today! Its Thanksgiving! WOW I still can't believe its NOVEMBER 24th!! Such craziness! I have SO much to be thankful for its just incredible! I will share it in a special Thanksgiving post SOON (I promise) to come :)

Before a little Thanksgiving Dinner hosted by the school Wednesday Night!
(Nick, Me, Allison, Cristen)
MANY THANKS TO CRISTEN FOR HER LOVELY PHOTES!! Mine died:/
-Lissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment